Monday (Deaf culture)- My teacher is Deaf, but chooses to use interpreters throughout the semester. I'm thinking he wants to do this so he doesn't have to simplify his ASL for those who are not up to par. It makes complete sense, but I was kinda bummed. On the contrary, I am going to receive such helpful information in this class to truly understanding the Deaf culture and history.
Tuesday (ASL III)- hmmm, class was cancelled. :-/ bummer. The same teacher from Monday, but I guess something came up. This worked out well though, because I headed over to the library to "check out" (no pun intended, haha) what kind of books they had on Deaf Education. Boy oh boy, was I in heaven...I checked out 7 books related to Deaf Education! Needless to say, I will try to take advantage of the resources in the library!
Wednesday (Fingerspelling and Numbering)- FINALLY, a FULL class period! My teacher ROCKS in this class. She has been studying Deaf Ed and Interpreting for about 25 years now. She recevied her Masters in Interpretation from Gallaudet (sound familiar? that's the program I applied to this past semester!) ...and now is a certified interpreter in the medical and legal fields (very challenging fields, but in MUCH need of qualified interpreters. Think about it, what if the doctor said 15 mL grams and the interpreter signed 50 mL grams...dangerous. and that's just one example of endless.) She is hearing, but her students in this class who also took her for ASL I and II never knew what her voiced sounded like until now! In her other classes, she only signed...but in the class, she speaks. This is going to be both a challenging and rewarding class. I struggle with fingerspelling and numbering, so I'm looking forward to a class focused solely on those topics.
Ok, as you can see...I can and will go on forever if you get me talking about ASL, Deaf studies, Deaf culture, Deaf advocacy, Deaf Ed, etc. The bottom line is, I am thankful to have found this passion. A passion that combines my desire to help and empowers others, my belief in social justice and equality, and the joy I have of interacting with others. In this field of study, I will forever be in education mode...how cool??
Speaking of cool, Harper College has a freaking football team! You better believe I will be attending these games :) Plus, I am not venturing too far from my Seahawk Pride because the mascot here is a HAWK!
Here are two shots of campus. This place is HUGE! Imagine a ring of parking lots surrounding campus (like a donut with campus being in the hole.) Every lot and building are numbered and lettered, so it is super easy to get around and find things. So organized....i love it :) Another plus? parking is FREE! Can you believe it?! I could also get my teeth cleaned for a reduced price (through the Dental Hygiene Program) and massages (through the Massage Therapy Program.) Now, it's no UNCW...but I could get use to this place :)
No comments:
Post a Comment