Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer with the Schultz's

Where do I even begin with this family?!? My life is truly changed because of these people...and I am so thankful they allowed me to be apart of their lives for this past summer. Even though we spend such a short time together, I have made lifelong friends :)
I first met Joy (mom) in January as the instructor of my ASL II class. What an awesome teacher! She soon became a mentor to me, as she was always willing to answer any and all questions I had about a possible career in Deaf Education. She went above and beyond by inviting me into her home to spend some time with her family. Towards the end of the Spring semester, Joy decided she wanted to teach more ASL classes in the summer...and asked me if I would want to watch Summer and Forrest (kids) while she taught in the mornings. I don't think I even thought about it before saying, "OF COURSE!" At that time, I knew these kids were special....and soon became aware that I only knew a portion of their awesomeness!!
What a blast we had....went to the pool, read books at the UNCW library, played with Mel and Lori in the Landing apt, played outside at the Schultz's house, and sooo much more! The summer (my last summer is Wilmington) wouldn't have been as memorable if it wasn't for Summer and Forrest, and Joy and David. :)

Below you will find some great pictures of our summer adventures :)

Sorry Forrest, but I had to post this one! Forrest wants to be just like his big sister...so he dresses up just like her, too! We were playing upstairs and he ran out of the room to come back with Summer's dress up shoes on. He is just too cute for words. Watch out Joy and David...if he is a looker now, just wait until he's older! ;)
I love this pictures of Summer because it shows off her beautiful eyes. :) What a sweet, sweet girl!
This was their secret hiding spot in the landing apartment and served many purposes. Some days it would be a baby crib, some days it would be a doctor room....but every day it was their hiding spot from mommy when she came to pick them up! They loved it when she found them!!
This boy sure loves his vacuum! He would point to the closet that stored the vacuum every time he came to the apt. He could vacuum all day if you let him! I guess he wants to be just like mommy too :)
You can just call her Dr. Summer. She was the queen at doctor and loved playing this all the time! Here she is wearing a graduation cap, along with Mel's stethoscope and safety glasses. How cute?!?
Mel and Lori (my two roomies, who are now nurses at Georgetown Hospital in DC) were their favorite "doctors." Summer and Forrest would always want one of the nurses to check their heart and fix any pretend booboo they had. The girls equally loved these two. They would wake up extra early, just so they could play with Summer and Forrest.
Here we are getting ready to walk around campus. This stroller was awesome! We would always walk by the construction sites for Forrest so he could see the trucks. Campus was so much fun, we always had something to do around UNCW!

Look at the two little graduates walking around campus :) Summer and Forrest loved to wear either the graduation caps or my crown and pretend to parade around campus humming to the graduation song, "bummm, bum bum bum bum bummm, bumm. " Summer would always make sure she pointed out all the students with their "pack-packs" on :)

Here we are cuddled up in our movie spot. Mary Poppins was their first choice, followed by the Car movie and Strawberry Shortcake. We loved to snuggle up on the couch during rainy days!
:) Our very first visit to the library. They loved to pick out each book on their own...and we would take turns reading their picks. Snack time was always fun in the library, too. The librarians sure loved these two, but then again....everywhere we went, they were loved :)


What a wonderful summer it was! Thank you Joy for trusting me with your children...I am so happy to have a friend and mentor like you. I can't wait to see this family again!!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Leigh -

What a WONDERFUL post! It captured everything :) except I think there should be a picture posted of Summer and Forrest wrapped up like 'sushi' (in their towels)! I miss you and playing with the kids. Such great helpers in the morning with stirring my coffee. I hope when I have kids (in the distant, distant future) that they are just as sweet and bright as Summer and Forrest.

love you twin!

joy said...

i'm so touched, leigh. it brought tears of joy. the kids ask about you all the time. i know they will be SO happy to see you next month! thank you for the beautiful posting.